Thursday, August 11, 2011

Life since May in Denmark...A short novel =P

Well hello again everyone!
It's getting longer and longer between every post- sorry about that! But here I am ready to tell you everything (ok, well not everything because I will be sitting and typing for the rest of my exchange if I do that!) But seriously, a lot has happened since-so I will catch you all up a bit.


EURO TOUR
Last time I wrote, in the beginning of May- I was getting pretty excited about Euro Tour and I have to say that it definitely surpassed my expectations. Euro Tour was one of the most fantastic trips I have been fortunate enough to take =)


On the 14th of May, 60 excited young exchangees from all over the world gathered on one bus which would take us from Denmark and onto Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Lido di Jesolo (Italy) , Venice, Verona, Monaco, Avignon, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Arnhem and then home again to Denmark. Yes, we visited all these cities in just over two weeks =O.

My favourite city on Euro Tour was Prague, having never been there before (nor ever having the real desire to go) I didn't know what to expect. But Prague is a truly beautiful city, and the day we spent there was definitely a highlight of the trip. Whilst in Prague, Ellie (Brisbane,) Maggie (Canada) and I went on a Segway tour and saw most of this gorgeous city. Segwaying around Prague was so much fun, even if my Segway didn't go so fast and I crashed into Ellie once... (Whatever the others say, I still maintain that my Segway was broken.) After Segwaying we went to a beautiful restaurant where we had a nice traditional Czech lunch which I think only cost us like $14! That night in Prague we took advantage of the cheap shopping and went to the huge shopping mall and shopping streets.


In the remainder of the trip there would be even more awesome days, nights and tonnes of hilarious adventures and I think it is safe to say- we all became great friends! It was sad to say goodbye to the Oldies, who would leave us soon after the trip to go back home but us newbies were thrilled to have another half year together!

SUMMER HOLIDAYS

When we arrived back from Euro tour it was exam time for our classmates (meaning no school for us) this then led onto summer holidays- So, I haven't been to school since the 13th of May and I guess I am kind of looking forward to going back next week...

In my summer holidays I have had the opportunity to travel a bit around Denmark and also Scandinavia. I have visited (and have had visits from) several other exchange students around Denmark and just last month I had a visit from Mum, Dad and Emily =)

It was good to see them here in Denmark and good that we got to travel a bit. After spending a week in Svendborg we took to København for a few days seeing the sights such as The Palace, Tivoli and the Little Mermaid Statue. We also got to catch up with Evelyn and her family who were travelling through København at the same time. =)

Then we moved onto Norway to Oslo and then Nordfjordeid to visit Kine. Norway was absolutly stunning and despite the freezing weather we had a ball. On our way back through København, Mum, Dad and I went to Sweden for a visit whilst Emily went to Germany to see her host family.

After a few more days in Svendborg it was time for everyone to go home. Thanks for the visit guys!


RANDOM OTHER STUFF

Yes, I am still with the same host family, and loving it still! Toward the start of the holidays I went to many graduation events and parties as Signe was finishing her final exams and then graduating. I absolutely love the strong graduation traditions here. I think it is wicked how everyone who graduates goes around wearing their graduation hat (signed by all their friends and with their final exam mark on it) for about a week. Then they have a big truck for each class that takes the student on a round trip, through the streets, honking the horn and celebrating and stopping at every class members house. It is really cool!

I have become more comfortable with my host family now, they are all sweet people and are supportive of my Danish. I will be sad to leave here in a few weeks.

Now that language classes are pretty much over, I have been to many more Rotary events/meetings. These have been good and I have got to know the club a bit better. I think next week we are having a BBQ, so I hope the weather clears up because it has been pouring with rain for the last three days... The weather in Denmark changes so fast... first it's sunny and you are getting a nice tan, and then the next day there is a storm... I'll never understand that!

Danish is going a lot better, although I got a bit out of practice when the family was here... hopefully when I go back to school I can understand something =P We'll see!

Okay, well I didn't get to write everything I wanted- Too much to say! But there is a little bit of my life in Denmark.

Signing out now...
Lots of Love
Jacquie


No comments:

Post a Comment