Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Two months away from home...

Hey again,

So, the two month mark has been and gone. This is going to sound really lame and cliche but it is so true, time really does fly when you are having fun.

I think pretty much the next day after I wrote last time I got really sick with the flu which kept me in bed for 4 days. This, so far has been the only low point of my exchange. Being sick really makes you miss home... However, I am better now and I couldn't be happier with my life here in Denmark.

I have had a busy couple of weekends. Two weeks ago I went to Vordingborg (which is a small town on the south of Zealand [the same island which holds Copenhagen]) to visit my awesome roomie from Intro-camp, Racheal. We had a heap of fun together! As well as visiting her, I also got to catch up with some of the other exchange students from intro-camp because on the sunday I crashed their district get-together and met some of the danish outbounds for next year as well.

Last thursday I went to a concert for the danish band "rumous said fire." They were really good and it was a fantastic show! We were in the front row which was awesome.

On the weekend I went shopping in Odense (the town where I take language classes) for the day and slept over at Claire's (my Alaskan oldie) house, whilst she slept over on Friday night at mine, to keep me company while my host parents and sister were out for the night.

I just read my other post to see what I told you last time and I realised that I haven't mentioned the weekend which I spent with some friends of my host family. While my host family were away one weekend I stayed with their friends Else and Søren. On the Saturday they took me to Germany :)

Just across the Danish border in Germany there is this little town which is basically Denmark; there are a few big department stores which sell everything (lollies, cosmetics, soft drink, alcohol, chips etc) for really cheap and in bulk. I think it is because taxes are really high in Denmark. It is quite strange because a lot of the products are made in Denmark and the 'exported' to Germany and then they sell them in bulk un-taxed to Danish people. Most of the people coming to these stores are Danish and the prices are in Danish as well as Euro... if not for the "Welcome to Deutchland" sign, you would think you were still in Denmark. But it was really cool that we could just pop over to Germany for a few hours! I also got to try Currywurst (some of the local 'cusine.')

On the same day we also went to Kolding. Kolding is a little town in Jutland (which is another of Denmarks big islands.) In Kolding we visited Koldinghus or Kolding castle, which was an old castle from the 16th Century where several members of the olden royal family have lived at times. Unfortunatly it was destroyed my fire (twice,) so it is just ruins in some places, but has been restored or still stands in other places. It is a really, really beautiful castle and the movie that we saw whilst we were there gave us an insight to its rich history and the history of the Royal family in Denmark.

So, as you can see, my weekends have been fairly full-on for a while now... but what about during the week? School is getting a lot better as I have started to become more comfortable with my class. Next week I have to bring cake to class, (we have this rule that if your phone goes off in class, then you have to bring cake the next lesson...) so I think I will make lamigtons or something else Australian.
On Friday we have Galafest, which is like the ball back in Australia. I am so excited for this! I'm sure you will hear about it soon...(or maybe not so soon, but I will probably write something about it!)

The weather has been getting better. Today and yesterday was cold and cloudy but the last week before that has been warm and sunny. It is funny how your perception of cold changes, being in Europe. Saturday was warm and sunny but was still only 7 degrees, it did feel a lot warmer than the Australian winter though...must be the sun!

Well, if you made it throught all this- congratulations! Sorry that my entry is kind of all over the place today...I kept remembering things and writing them in ;)

Miss you all!

Hej Hej
Jacquie

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you.
    BTW I still like my Rye Bread.It used to be breakfast fare.
    CS

    ReplyDelete